With the Goods and Services Tax (GST) becoming a reality on July 1, 2017, it is important to understand who needs to register for GST, how to register your business for GST, and what you need for business registration under GST regime.
How to register existing taxpayers for GST
A business with service tax or any VAT registration can register themselves on GST Portal
- Provisional id received from authority
- PAN of the tax payer/business
- Mobile number
- Email id
- Bank account details
Majority of the VAT businesses have been migrated to GST, while only 43% of service tax businesses and have been migrated to GST as on April 2017.
How to register for GST if you are new taxpayer
Your business must have a turnover of Rs. 20 lakhs or more. However if the business is located in any of the seven Northeastern States, then your business turnover limit is Rs. 10 lakhs
Who has to register for GST?
- A person who is doing business in trading of goods or services has to register for GST if his annual turnover exceeds Rs. 20 lakhs or more, or Rs. 10 lakhs for businesses in any state of North-East India.
- A person who is liable to be registered shall apply for registration in every such State, or Union Territory in which he is so liable, within 30 days from the date on which he becomes liable to registered.
- A person having multiple business verticals in a State may obtain a separate registration for each business vertical.
- A person may get himself registered voluntarily, and all provisions of this GST Act, as are applicable to a registered taxable person, shall apply to such person.
- A person shall have a Permanent Account Number (PAN) or a Tax Deduction and Collection Account Number (TAN) in order to be eligible for grant of registration. Exception is for non-resident taxable person.
Online GST Registration Procedure:
Registrations for GST can be done online through a portal (www.gst.gov.in) maintained by the Central Government or State Government. The applicant will have to submit an online application for GST registration using Form GST-1 along with detail of the good and services to be dealt. Online payment for the registration fee would be made available and temporary GST registration number would be provided on submission of application. On submission of the application, the applicant would have to print a copy of the application, attach the documents mentioned above and courier the same to the GST department. On verification of the application, final GST certificate will be issued by the concerned officer. GST registration procedure is expected to be a completely online process, similar to the service tax registration process. GST Payment Knowledge
It’s a simple, streamlined process to follow. Your taxes will be simplified to a large extent and your business will experience the easy flow of goods across state lines. The GST is an important step towards good governance and you do not have to worry about be taxed multiple times. It’s time to get started with your GST registration.